Security for Products Connected to a Network
Many products and their various functions can be used remotely via the internet or wireless LAN. However, connecting products to a network introduces the possibility of such security issues as unauthorized access and use by malicious third parties.
To that end, in order minimize the risk of security issues, it is necessary to apply the appropriate settings and use your products in a secure environment. Below we have outlined a number of security measures to ensure customers can continue to use their Canon products in a more secure way.
Security measures when using Canon products
When using the product for the first time
1. Set an administrator ID and password. Set up administrator/general users IDs and passwords if possible.
2. Change the device’s default password to a new password.
3. Ensure that passwords and other similar settings for various functions are sufficiently difficult to guess.
4. If the product has authentication functions, use them to manage who can use the product.
5. Set a private IP address for products and create a network environment with a firewall or Wi-Fi router that can restrict network access.
6. Only connect products to trusted networks.
7. If the product has network filters, use them to limit the number of addresses that can communicate with the device.
8. Use any encryption functions the product may have.
9. Disable functions and ports that aren’t used wherever possible.
10. Set the product’s security function settings as strong as possible.
11. Be aware of physical security needs, including those related to the location of the product etc.
When operating the product
1. When using functions that communicate via a network, ensure you are using a trusted access point before connecting.
2. Regularly check the Canon security page to ensure you are up to date with security-related information.
3. Use the latest firmware.
4. If the product saves various logs, check them regularly.
5. If you won’t be using the product for a long period, switch it off.
When disposing of the product
When disposing of the product, delete all data and set-points saved on the device.