Canon strengthens its cinema offering with the EOS C300 Mark III – a next generation camera with innovative DGO sensor – and a broadcast/ cinema hybrid CINE-SERVO lens
London, UK, 20 April 2020 – Canon Europe affirms its commitment to the cinema and broadcast industry, providing it with two new innovative and versatile products that push creative boundaries and meet multiple production requirements. Launching today is the EOS C300 Mark III – its next generation Cinema EOS System camera with a new Super 35mm 4K CMOS DGO (Dual Gain Output) sensor, modular design and the ability to record in multiple formats. Canon also reveals the CN10X25 IAS S – a versatile, 8K-capable 25mm-250mm 10x power zoom CINE-SERVO lens with exceptionally broad focal length range and capabilities to extend up to 375mm using its built-in 1.5x optical extender. In addition to this, it announces new firmware updates for its professional display monitors and Cinema EOS System cameras – enhancing functionality, compatibility and workflow.
EOS C300 Mark III
CN10X25 IAS S
EOS C300 Mark III – a direct response to industry demands
Building on the coveted 2015-launched EOS C300 Mark II, the EOS C300 Mark III showcases Canon’s excellence in moving image innovation. With a new DGO sensor that enhances HDR output exceeding 16-stops of dynamic range, configurable design – similar to that of the EOS C500 Mark II launched last year – and ability to record up to 120fps in 4K Cinema RAW Light or XF-AVCi – the camera is suitable for various productions. Such features make the EOS C300 Mark III the perfect choice for those looking to produce everything from documentaries and commercials to corporate videos and dramas. Its creation, along with the new CN10X25 IAS S, is Canon’s direct response to producing kit that meets the growing industry demand for high-end content across all genres.
Outstanding HDR with new DGO sensor
The first of Canon’s cameras to boast its DGO sensor – a newly developed imaging system that offers exceptionally clean low light picture quality as well as superb HDR acquisition capabilities – with the EOS C300 Mark III, professionals can capture stunning HDR like never before.
Each pixel on the sensor is read out with two different amplification levels – one high and one low – which is then be combined to make a single image. The higher amplification read out is optimised to capture clean details in darker areas, while the lower amplification read out is optimised to capture details in brighter areas. When combined, at pixel-level accuracy, the details and the qualities on the highlight and low light areas of the image are maintained and enhanced – enabling professionals to achieve impressive higher dynamic range of up to 16+ stops. What’s more, the DGO sensor is also compatible with Dual Pixel CMOS AF giving professionals greater creative freedom.
A workflow for any production
The versatile multi-recording format ability of the EOS C300 Mark III provides workflow efficiency to fulfill multiple production requirements across broadcast and cinema. The camera’s ability to internally record 4K Cinema RAW Light provides all the benefits of a RAW file in terms of flexibility in post-production, but in a smaller file size – easing the burden and cost that can come with large file sizes. In addition to this, the EOS C300 Mark III can record internally in Canon XF-AVC at 4K DCI and UHD at 4:2:2 10-bit, as well as 2K and Full HD. For non-RAW recording in XF-AVC, professionals can select ALL-I or Long GOP to film with high compression for efficient workflow and longer recording times. When recording 2K or Full HD in Super 35mm, footage boasts the 4K sensor’s full capabilities. This recording is downsampled internally to record the footage at the resolution selected by the user – providing higher image quality and uncompromised field of view of the selected lens thanks to no cropping of the sensor.
Versatility sits at its heart
Professionals can configure the camera using two different optional Expansion Units (EU-V1 and EU-V2) – both which add extra connection terminals to the camera body and expand the camera’s compatibility with various styles of shooting. Additionally, the lens mount can be changed between EF, PL and EF Cinema Lock mounts without the need to send the camera to an Authorised Service Centre – a huge benefit for professionals looking to create productions with various looks.
Enjoy stunning image capture with the hybrid CN10X25 IAS S
With outstanding optics and compact and lightweight design, the versatile 4K and 8K-capable CN10X25 IAS S CINE-SERVO lens meets multiple production needs. Thanks to its wide focal length range, ability to be configured for both broadcast and cinema productions, and compatibility with Super 35mm and Full Frameii sensor cameras – it’s ideal for professionals looking to filming high-quality productions across a wide range of genres such as drama, commercials, sports and documentary. For these reasons, the lens makes a great pairing with the likes of the new EOS C300 Mark III.
With its 11-blade aperture, a soft and subject popping bokeh is achieved with warm colour tones for superior image quality and cinematic rendering. When used with Canon’s Cinema EOS System cameras, including the EOS C300 Mark III, it offers top image quality, operability and reliability the industry is looking for.
Ability to handle a range of filming situations
Producing optically excellent, ‘cinematic’ images that are sharp from centre to outer edges, the power zoom lens can handle a large range of shooting situations from 25mm wide angle, to 250mm telephoto. This range can be pushed to an impressive 375mm with the built-in 1.5x optical extender allowing professionals to capture exceptional quality close-up content of breathtaking moments happening in distance. What’s more, with the built-in extender it is possible to enlarge the image size of the lens to make it compatible with 35mm Full Frame sensor cameras – such as Canon’s EOS C500 Mark II – a great advantage that pushes the capability of the lens.
Flexible design with multiple communication functions
The ergonomic drive unit of the CN10X25 IAS S is detachable, suiting a multitude of broadcast and cinema production requirements. Its lens mount can also be interchanged between EF and PL mountiii providing even greater value and flexibility to professionals. It’s compliance with a wide range of communication standards supporting EF communication with EF mount and Cooke/i Technology with PL mount, provides additional support and functionality which is hugely beneficial for those looking for a high-quality lens suitable for various productions. A 12-pin serial communication is also supported for broadcast standards, as well as a 20-pin connector which outputs accurate lens positional data for various virtual systems.
Cinema EOS System camera firmware update
Today, Canon Europe announces a firmware update for its Cinema EOS System cameras. Among the 17 updates in total are the following:
- Added lens compatibility between the EOS C700 FF, EOS C700/C700GS, EOS C300 Mark II, EOS C200 and the today-launched CINE-SERVO lens – the CN10X25 IAS S – to include various support functions such as Dual Pixel CMOS AF functions, Chromatic Aberration and Peripheral Illumination Correction functions and the Lens Meta Data recording.
- XF-AVC Long GOP and XF-AVC Proxy recording formats added to the EOS C500 Mark II to meet industry requirements and for compatibility with multiple workflows.
- Simultaneous HDMI and SDI output with the EOS C200 – increasing the flexibility of the camera. As a result, professionals can use two output terminals for different purposes such as adding a recorder and a reference monitor while also recording internally.
Professional display firmware update
Canon Europe also announces an update for seven models of its professional 4K reference displays – the DP-V3120, DP-V2421, DP-V2420, DP-V2411, DP-V2410, DP-V1711, and DP-V1710 – improving various functions and performance for a strengthened 4K/HDR workflow. Such updates include:
- Enhanced brightness and contrastiv:
- o The monitor’s brightness increases from 300nit to 600nit and, with boost mode ON, brightness can be extended to a maximum 1000nit with the DP-V1711 and DP-V1710.
- o DP-V2411, DP-V1711 and DP-V1710 have an added global dimming function, even with brightness boost ON, and can now perform up to 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio.
- Supporting .cube LUT file format:
- o Now supporting the reading of 3D-LUT/1D-LUT files in the .cube file format widely used in the video production industry.
- Enhanced coordination with digital cinema cameras from RED Digital Cinema:
- o Now supporting two types of LUT presets for converting video signals from RED Digital Cinema cameras into HDR (PQ)/SDR.
- Further enhancement of functions to support editing operations:
- o During shooting or editing operations, checking the XY chromaticity value of pixels will be possible as well as the coordinate position on the chromaticity diagram for ITU-R BT.2020 color gamut video
Today, Canon Europe also launches the CJ18ex7.6B KASE – a compact and lightweight 2/3” 4K broadcast zoom lens with exceptional performance, operability, and affordability. In addition to this Canon Inc. announces more specifications of the EOS R5 ahead of its official launch – confirming the mirrorless EOS R System camera will shoot comfortably in high-end cinema productions.
The EOS C300 Mark III will be available from June and the CN10X25 IAS S available from July.
More information about the new products can be found here:
www.canon-europe.com/video-cameras/eos-c300-mark-iii/ and www.canon-europe.com/pro/cinema-lenses/cn10x25-ias-s-e-p1/
EOS C300 Mark III Key Features:
- New Super 35mm 4K CMOS DGO (Dual Gain Output) sensor
- 16+ stops of dynamic range
- 4K 120P high-speed supported
- Multiple internal recording options:
- o 4K Cinema RAW Light 10-bit or 12-bit
- o 2K RAW recording in Super 16mm Crop, 10-bit or 12-bit
- o XF-AVC (MXF) recording, 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-I or LongGOP
- o Up to 120P 4K RAW or XF-AVC recording, up to 180P in Super 16mm crop 2K/FHD.
- User changeable lens mount (EF, PL or EF Cinema Lock)
- Flexible, modular design with optional expansion modules and EVF
CN10X25 IAS S Key Features:
- 4K and 8K camera-compatible image quality
- 25mm wide angle and 10x high-power zoom
- Internal 1.5x extender
- Detachable drive unit
- Interchangeable EF and PL mount
- Compliant with wide-ranging communication standards with a lens-to-camera communication function for added experience
i XF-AVC is available as 4:2:2 10-bit in either ALL-I or LONG-GOP compression
ii Full Frame can be achieved with this lens when the 1.5x built-in optical extender is used
iii Lens mount to be changed by a Canon Authorised Service - additional costs may apply
iv The DP-V1710/1711 will require a paid license to activate this function