The Canon AKTASHIF Program is an annual creative careers competition. It is for all youth between the ages of 14 and 25 residing in the Middle East. This program will help you turn your passion for photography, videography or printing into a rewarding career.
Between June and December 2020, Canon will release four different modules. Collectively, these modules will lead you through the process of designing and launching a successful business. Participants who complete all four modules by 1 December 2020 will be eligible to win the Grand Prize.
Pursue Your Creative Passion Module
This is the third of four modules. If you haven’t completed modules 1 and 2 yet, you can access them on the program website. The other three modules are:
- Module 1: Discover Your Creative Voice
- Module 2: Start Your Creative Journey
- Module 4: Unleash Your Creative Career
The most successful entrepreneurs are innovative. They understand who their competitors are and what they do well. Then, they figure out how to meet their customers’ needs even better than their competitors. What makes you unique? How will you keep pushing the boundaries of your chosen field? This module challenges you to demonstrate the ways in which the creative product or service that you offer is innovative. Potential customers have options; show us why they should hire you.
Creating a portfolio is an essential step in the process of launching your creative career.
Lots of videographers shoot music videos. Lots of photographers take portraits of children. Lots of printers print business cards. When potential customers are deciding whether or not to hire you, they want to know what makes you different from your competitors. A stunning portfolio might be the thing that makes the difference. If you can show how your product or service is unique and valuable, you’ll be in a better position to sell your work.
To enter the competition, upload the following deliverables through the submission form on the program website no later than 11:59 PM GST on 1 December 2020:
- Portfolio of your work that showcases what is innovative about your work (File Formats: PDF, image file or mp4)
- Two-minute video in which you communicate what is innovative about your business (Video Format: mp4)
- Submissions in English and Arabic will both be accepted.
Canon will select three winners for the Pursue Your Creative Career Module to receive:
- A first, second or third place award
- An M50 Canon camera
- Their work featured on Canon’s social media channels
At the end of the program, Canon will select one Grand Prize winner. Participants who complete all four modules by 1 December 2020 will be eligible to win the Grand Prize, which includes:
- 15,000 AED cash prize
- 15,000 AED worth of Canon products
- A year-long membership at a local entrepreneurship incubator where the winner can launch his or her businesses
A panel of photographers, printers and other creative professionals will assess the innovativeness of your business based on the following criteria:
- Uniqueness: Is your product or service different from solutions that already exist?
- Value: Does your product or service fulfill a real need or solve a real problem?
- Competitiveness: Is your product or service better than what competitors offer?
Submit your work through the submission form on the program website.